Tuesday 9 June 2009

Let’s change and now I am part of it :-)

For understandable reasons my parent didn’t customize to Chennai life style and preferred to go back to home town. Its means that hereafter, I need to wash my clothes, polish my shoes, and even comb my hair :-) ... missed one important thing, I need to cook for my own.

It’s Sunday morning, I was just think about what to have break fast. First I had a look at my kitchen; it was almost like ran-sacked. Seems my mother had strong belief that I won’t cook at all and perfectly dried groceries before she leave. Those empty rank of pet jars guys were annoyingly laughing aloud at me. Just I can able locate only a half filled jam bottle. Now my breakfast plan was left with alone option, bread butter jam.
I took a bike ride to buy a loaf of bread in the nearest super market. Its branded chain supermarket where the cost will be bit higher when tied with the street corner groceries shop, I preferred it over the cost as I believed I will be a getting a quality product and services.

Today, I was surprised to see the expiry date in the bread packets, it’s almost 4 days past from today. I got aroused when I checked the rest of the packets, all got dates passed by for use. The thing that got worst of me was the following conversation with the supermarket staff. It’s the English version of my Tamil conversation.
Me: Seems expiry date of this bread got over?

Staff: check the other ones sir....
Me: They too got expired ... (he gave me a looks as he felt irritated and took a bread packet and gave it to me) ... Check the date its 1st June

Staff: Sir, it might be the packed date…

Me: Read this ... Use by: 1st June, 2009... What it means...?

Staff: I don’t know English ... but it is packed date only...

Me: Okay... Ask any of your staff who can read to come here...?

Staff: Other staffs are busy ... (and started moving away from me)...

Me: At least displace those packets off the display shelves …

Staff: Ok, we will do it later…
Me: Can you take me to your supervisor or Manager who is in-charge?

Staff: Today is Sunday and he is off …

What made me more awkward is that don’t care attitude of Mr. Public. Everyone there at least got a glimpse of what I am arguing for. But they chose to remain silence, as it is no-ones problems. Definitely I am not here to blame anyone; even I have put a blank face in the past.

Let’s change and now I am part of it :-)

2 comments:

  1. exactly how to do you propose to change????? just out of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jus come out of the shell and start using the rusty questioning part of the brain .... and to be public assertive :-)

    ReplyDelete